The first Catholic church in Leckava was built in 1630, but the settlement itself had an Evangelical Reformed church as early as 1622. The patron of the Catholic church was the Samogitian elder Liackis, after whom the locals named both the church and the area itself. Unfortunately, the first church burned down in 1644. However, this did not stop the community - the landowner built a new, larger church and invited two priests. This church became an important spiritual center: from 1700, baptismal registers began to be written here, and from 1706 - marriage registers.
The year 1783 was another unfortunate period – the church burned down again. However, soon, in 1785, Adomas Gurskis took care of the construction of a new church. Despite these losses, the Leckava community never gave up. Even during the Second World War, when the church was destroyed again, the parishioners did not lose hope.
After the war, under Soviet rule, it was difficult to obtain permission to build a new church, but the returning exiles and other parishioners found ways to maintain their place of faith. In 1955, a temporary church was built in the village with their own funds. And in 1958, a new wooden church finally sprang up in the old place, in the town.

Reviews